Secure Network Architecture is also known as cybersecurity architecture. It is the framework that states the organizational standards, policies, structure, and functional behavior of a computer network; it consists of both network and security traits. It is also the way in which many components of the computer system and cyber system are organized, synced, and integrated. A cybersecurity architecture structure is one element of a system’s architecture. Secure network architecture built and designed to present guidance during the design of a whole operation. Security architecture aids to spot security controls and countermeasures, and also how they concern the structure of the whole system of your organization. The chief motive of these controls is to preserve your critical system’s quality allot such as availability, confidentiality, and integrity. It is also the collaboration between software and hardware knowledge with policy development, programming proficiency, and research skills.
Importance of Secure Networking
From most of the attributes of advanced network architecture “secure” is the most important factor that a person can associate. With the constantly increasing sophistication of spammers and the ongoing popping up of vulnerabilities in structures that were earlier supposed “safe”, it has become supremely important to pay attention to the security of network architecture. Whatever things that are connected to the web can be accessible to entities that have harmful purposes. Hence, it is the duty of the network architect to ensure that the information or data they are producing and using to be safe and secure from hackers and spammers.
- Improve overall security of network
- Prevents from unknown zero-day threats
- Increase operational efficiency
- Reduce TCO
- Automates security across all enforcement points
How to Design Secure Network Architecture?
To have advanced security, there are some specific design fundamentals that need to be understood. Here are some of these fundamentals:-
- The weakest link’s security:- Under all systems, there are some fragile links that are not paid enough for cars. For example: take the reference of the online websites of banking companies. Few pages on the web portal offer the most basic and frequently used service such as account summary, account transfer, etc. but there are some pages that are hardly visited such as policy and regulation pages. In Spite of that, the latter might seem insignificant to the network architect and the user but it can be a possible cause of the attack if a hacker discovers a route through the page to a different page of notably more importance. Designers usually face such weak links” because they don’t see them as means of valuable data that might attract the hacker, but such weak links have been top objectives for hackers for a long time now, so it is very important to make them secure.
- Failsafe implementation:- It is very common that anytime any computer system or network can fail due to some chaos and failures and it is definitely an unavoidable situation. Here a network architect needs to work so that the system does not fail or there are over fewer chances of system failure. Thus, adequate failsafe implementation is really important.
- The least privilege model:- This model commands that every time you have to allow permission to do some action on your page, you should allow them just a few amounts of privileges to secure your security.
- Apply state of the art cryptographic techniques and models:- Cryptographic and encryption techniques have become a totally important part of the modern world in network and system security. It has been expected from the network engineers that they should always use standard encryption models and also need to ensure periodically updating of all the certificate and distributed keys.
Implementation of Secure Network Architecture
Once the operational technology network has been segmented, it is very important to have devices and systems to make it simple to document the complete network list, handle it centrally, see the incidents related to the software applications and hardware devices and control their use by other users.
There are 3 ways to implement the secure network architecture:-
- SIEM System:- Protect and monitor your devices such as Historian, HMI clients, OPC servers, and SCADA. And also protects OT network devices such as switches, firewalls, and routers. By CMN associated events. SIEM systems empower you to monitor users, store critical information on security events that occur, and monitor OT network devices and equipment.
- SNMP Monitors:- It is based on the simple network management protocol, it provides the solutions that allow the user to draw up tables and graphically represent topology and full network architecture using a particular maintenance and management console. It enables you to generate log reports accessible over the internet, manage network events, and control network equipment status in real-time.
- VPN:- A virtual private network permits secure use of the public network by regulating the integrity of the data, its confidentiality, and encrypting. You can use a secured VPN to connect two or several LANs and connect a PC to the LAN.
In the present time network, security is the biggest concern for all the agencies and organizations. A secured network and system provide an atmosphere of relief that our previous data and information are secured and untouched by any unwanted person. Secure network architecture provides secure network facilities to the world and protects from unwanted spams and attacks that may be proven harmful for us. Here, we talked about the whole structure and implementation of the secure network architecture that provides you with accurate knowledge and the importance of the secured network.